UK Political Links
- 2005 General Election result maps etc. will be added to this site after counting is complete. Meanwhile, see the BBC site http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/default.stm for all the latest details
- UK-Elect Software Download - Trial version, includes full 1997 and 2001 General Election Results
- UK-Elect Election Statistics Election data and maps on the statistics page of this site. Includes:
- 1997 UK-Elect 1997 General Election Overview Maps showing various aspects of 1997 election, including winning party, percentage lead, etc.
- 1997 Marginal Seats The 100 most marginal results at the 1997 election, sorted in order of marginality
- 1997 Labour Marginal Seats / Conservative Marginal Seats / Liberal Democrat Marginal Seats Seats won by the main parties sorted in order of marginality
- 1997 - 2001 Best Prospects for Labour Gains / Best Prospects for Conservative Gains / Best Prospects for Liberal Democrat Gains
- 1992 UK-Elect 1992 General Election Overview Maps showing the1992 election result
- United Kingdom Election Results David Boothroyd's site is probably the most comprehensive of them all. Contents include:
- 2001+ By-elections since the 2001 election Full details of results and candidates
- 1997+ By-elections since the 1997 election Full details of results and candidates
- 1997 - Summary results of the 1997 election A quick summary in terms of votes, percentages and swing
- 1997 - Detailed Results, such as these: London Boroughs, Welsh Boroughs, Scottish Counties, Northern Irish Boroughs
- 1994 - UK European Parliament results, e.g. 1999 European Parliamentary Election in Scotland, by constituency
- 1983-1997 UK Parliamentary Election results, e.g. London Boroughs 1983-1997
- 1983- 1997 Summary of UK Parliamentary results, e.g. results for 1983, 1987, and 1992 General Elections
- The British Politics Pages site includes:
- - 1997 and 2001 Constituency profiles
- The Northern Ireland Elections Site Nicholas Whyte's site is a comprehensive guide to the Northern Ireland electoral situation. Contents include:
- 1998 - Northern Ireland Assembly Elections
- UK Elections Political Studies Association site - a good links page
- LGC Elections Centre Local Government Chronicle Elections Centre (University of Plymouth)
- Elections and Electoral Systems around the world from Richard Kimber's comprehensive Political Science Resources site
- Election Datasets Downloadable election data in Excel and other formats, from Pippa Norris at Harvard University
- UK Local Government Information includes
- - Political Composition of Councils
- - Local Authority by-elections
- Politico's Online bookstore, sells huge variety of UK political books, CDs, videos etc.
- Constituency Locator (handy utility page produced by whereonearth.com - type a U.K. postcode and it tells you the constituency it is in)
- Vote By Post (if you would like to vote by Post)
Political Blogs, Discussions, Newsgroups and Message Boards
- Guido Fawke's Blog often controversial blog
- Honourable Fiend also controversial
- www.bloggerheads.com are they all controversial?
- The Liberal Dissenter "Off-message observations from Simon Titley"
- Iain Dale From Politico's owner and 2005 Conservative Candidate for Norfolk North. A different perspective from those above?
- PoliticalBetting.com This excellent site usually includes a lively and informed debate on the electoral chances of the various parties
- Vote 2005 Discussion Forum Discuss the 2005 General Election
- Murky.org Includes comment on election issues, and tactical/protest voting in particular. Mentions UK-Elect, so must be good...
- http://www.scottish-independence.blogspot.com Stuart Dickson's personal blog for Scottish independence. Always lively.
- uk.politics.electoral Example of a UK Political Newgroup (Discussions can be heated but are also often informative. Many results are posted here first.) Other UK Political Newgroups include: uk.politics.animals, uk.politics.announce, uk.politics.censorship, uk.politics.constitution, uk.politics.crime, uk.politics.drugs, uk.politics.economics, uk.politics.environment, uk.politics.guns, uk.politics.misc, uk.politics.parliament, uk.politics.philosophy
- British Politics Pages Message Boards Message boards on UK political topics
- Westminster Watch Debate Discussions on current political issues
- Scottish Politics Discussion and Announcement Forums ScotPol Discussion Group
- Cross Of St George Devolution Debate From the site of an English Nationalist, "The Web's liveliest devolution debate board (may include strong language)"
- "Start An Online Public Commons" Start your own political debate
MPs/Candidates Homepages (some typical, some rather good, try them out..)
Note: The term "MP" below refers to individuals who were an MP in the 2001 parliament which is now dissolved. This list is scheduled for update shortly.
- Number 10 The Prime Minister's website contains up to date goverment news, and is worth a visit. Includes
- - PMs in History e.g.William Ewart Gladstone, Benjamin Disraeli, and Sir Winston Churchill as well as Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair
- Home Office, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Treasury Main Government departments
- Education & Employment, Trade & Industry Other important departments
- Culture, Media and Sport A department that would like to be regarded as important?
- Open Government Links to government sites
- Cabinet Office Site aims to provide fast and full access to information published by UK cabinet office. Includes
- - Cabinet Ministers
- - Cabinet Committees
- - The Government Machine
- Open.gov.uk: council websites
- Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
- Local government association
- National Association of Local Councils
- UK Parliament
- House of Commons The most important house of Parliament
- House of Lords Now being reformed
- Explore Parliament The site for Schools
- Parliamentary Services Details on the UK Parliament
- Visits to the UK Parliament How to visit Parliament
- the-commons.com Covers events in the House of Commons
- Today in the House of Commons
- MPs Email Addresses From Julian White's British Politics Pages, frequently updated.
- Scottish Executive Official Scottish Government site
- Scottish Parliament Official site
- Scottish Parliament More information on the Scottish Parliament, from the excellent Scottish Politics site
- National Assembly for Wales
- Northern Ireland Assembly
- Mayor of London, the London Assembly and the Greater London Authority Official site, includes
- - The Mayor Reports on the activities of the London mayor, Ken Livingstone
- - The Assembly Reports on what the London Assembly is doing
- UK Councils another part of the British Politics Pages site
- Central Office of Information
- Central Information Technology Unit Government "Information Technology" site (lots of long words), including
- 1999 Modernising Government White Paper on plans to improve access to UK government information
- The Report of the Independent Commission on the Voting System
- Vote by Post (if you would like to vote by Post)
- Election Simulation Games - from 80soft.com "where gaming gets political". Some very good simulation games, now including an excellent British version of the popular Prime Minister Forever game. Do you want to run the 2005 General Election campaign? See our review.
- Political Anagrams - find out what politicians names really mean..?
- www.spinon.co.uk "Satire for the e-generation (updated daily)"
- www.whoshouldyouvotefor.com Discover which party is most closely allied to your views